2024年1月26日 星期五

Our Commemorative Book (9) - Practice Makes "Patrick"


This is the time period to sign my kids' examination papers. Honestly, I am not taking so serious to their results as these all are not influencing to their secondary school places allocation.

However, there are some "extreme cases" draw my attention. The first is their good performance in Chinese part. Winky got the highest mark in Chinese Writing in her class. Perrin got over 90 marks in Chinese Reading. It is really out of my expectation. 

Meanwhile, my son draws my attention by his failed marks in English reading section. I cannot say it is totally out of my expectation because the English level in this school is really too high for him, and right away he is not good in English.

When I reviewed their examination papers, whether the marks is high or low, I felt a bit grateful because of our similarity - Relatively good in Chinese but not really good in English. 

I don’t think our similarity is inherent. They are my blog supporters and enjoy to read what I have written. 

"Practice makes perfect. I found I keep improving when I keep doing this.” this is the words I always say when they are wondering why I can write so long passage.

Probably influenced by me, Winky likes to write diary and record some interesting experience, too. Moreover, they enjoy listening to my stories which are instantaneously conceived by me before sleep. 

"Today, Hanks went for adventure, it was really exciting, very excited, and the more importance was.... extremely excited. Finally they had a dinner and went home." 

"Dad, don't tell such a boring story!" They gave me a big catcall.

"Forgive me. I read your writing homework day by day so my mind was being "Polluted"! hahaha"

Sometimes I intentionally tell them a simple story by their writing tone. I am not just for making joke or brush them off. My purpose is to let them know how to tell a good story, by Cantonese at least. 

Probably, just probably, my habit influences them to be a good Chinese writer. It can also explain why my son is not good in English, because I am not good in this and I hate English lessons, too!

As a parent, English project is the big boss that we occasionally fight with. 

"Write a biography for a historical figure in middle age?" My face got white when I read the project outline. 

I have no idea about middle age, western history (as well as Chinese history) and even biography. It is not only too harsh for my kid, but even an extremely big challenge to me, too. That means I have to learn by myself and then teach them how to do. I persuaded myself it was a good experience to learn about: "Joan of Arc" and know more about "Hundred Years World" by doing this assignment. 


Not only boss, there are many specific topics in their English book which include a lot of complicated words. Recently I have to bring my phone with me when I take dictation revision with them. It is because I don't know how to pronounce majority of the words in dictation. How difficult are they!



(I am not able to check whether their answers are correct or not, but I really enjoy Winky’s drawing.)


"Dad, I have no idea how to write! It is too harsh to write for this topic."

"It is not difficult, just 200 words required."

"You won't understand, Dad, as you are not the one have to do this homework."

"No really, lazy kids, try to think about how I write in my blog, at least 1000 words for a small matter!"

When I said this, nothing they could argue further because they are the one know what actually I have done most in my writing.

Recently I have a feeling that I cannot fully handle what they learn how as the complicated level is out of my capability. Therefore, I am thinking if I can try to do the same in English. When they argued with me that they cannot write.

I can say "I am not encouraging you to do something that I have ever tried. As your Dad, same as you two, I start to do not because I am good in this. Instead, I try to do this more and make this better."

Just like my 2024 slogan - "Do a bit more than my own duty!"

Go for this! My dear children. 





沒有留言: